At the end of each year, we reflect on the past twelve months. What worked? What didn’t? Then we set new goals for health, wealth, relationships, career excellence, and additions to our bucket list. Some are reasonable, others never had a chance. Well, here comes summer. Are you on track or has that post-it note on the fridge been taunting you since New Years?
Here are 10 Steps to Keep Goals on Track:
1. Make it FUN!
- A big reason goals fall apart is they were never motivating in the first place. Add “the play factor” to motivate yourself and teammates.
2. Stay HUMBLE and ask for HELP
- If you haven’t achieved your goals, keep learning or ask for help. You may be closer than you think.
3. INSPIRE, MENTOR, and GIVE BACK
- One of the great ways to keep resolutions is to help someone keep theirs, then support one another.
4. THINK BIG but remember LESS is MORE
- Goals that start too big often fail to address little things first. Don’t put so much on your plate that simple steps never get started.
5. Don’t let PERFECT ruin GOOD!
- Are you in search of Good to Great? Be willing to get messy and screw up. You can’t be great until you get good!
6. Be GRATEFUL + write lots of THANK-YOU notes
- The fastest road to success is paved through appreciation. The return on that investment yields loyal friendships, great resources, and a whole lot of good karma. The support you need may just be a phone call or thank-you note away.
7. Maintain PASSION in your PURPOSE + PATIENCE in your PRACTICE
- Clarify “WHY” you set that goal in the first place and ask friends to hold you accountable by checking in “results” of your practice routine.
8. FOCUS on what you do best , then delegate, collaborate, or eliminate the rest
- Hyper focus on your unique ability. Be willing to outsource or bring in co-workers and experts for things you don’t do well.
9. Stay THIRSTY (and HUNGRY) my friends!
- Complacency kills the competitive spirit! If the goal is critical, you have to CRAVE it every day!
10. It’s not enough to THINK different. Have the COURAGE to BE different. As Mark Twain said, “Don’t be afraid to go out on a limb. That’s where the fruit is.”
5 Bonus Essentials to Increase Odds for Success
Make Your Goals S.M.A.R.T.
Specific > Measurable > Attainable > Relevant > Time-Oriented
Yeh, I snuck in those last 5 just to see if you’re serious about hardcore goal execution. If you are, also see: How The 4 Essentials Impact Goals
The 4 Essentials of Entrepreneurial Thinking
In his New York Times Bestseller, Cliff Michaels dispels the myth of born entrepreneurs and proposes a paradigm shift in global education. Taking readers on an inspiring personal journey, Michaels shares his foibles, triumphs, and tribulations as a young entrepreneur, then unleashes a dynamic system of timeless lessons
anyone can follow.
On the cutting edge of success training for over 20 years, Michaels draws on classic and modern mentors from da Vinci, Edison, Mozart, and Einstein to Jobs, Oprah, Branson, Spielberg, and more. Street-smart & thought provoking, The 4 Essentials isn’t just for entrepreneurs. It challenges all of us to earn a real-world MBA – your Master’s in Basic Abilities.